Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Jackson

Kind of like Johnny Cash and June Carter - only we didn't get married in a fever.

But my friend Kara did in Jackson Hole, Wyo., which is where Todd and I scooted up to for the weekend!  I was super excited to see her get married and be with all my old D.C., friends - and for Todd to see this part of the state, something he hasn't had a chance to do yet.

Todd and I had planned to camp Friday night in the Teton National Forest.  We've had a few attempts at camping this summer, but both have ended badly - one with us coiled up in the front of the truck and the last with us laid out in the back of the Subaru.

No luck again this weekend.  We forgot the tent.  Almost to Shoshoni, Todd asks, "We have the tent, right?" to which I replied, "I don't know...we do...right??"  I packed the car, yes, but Todd had piled all the gear by the front door before going to work.  I figured everything we needed was there - not at the bottom of the stairs.

Consequently, we crashed with my friend Lori in her hotel room.  Not quite roughing it...at least not for us.  Lori may have a different opinion.


The Grand Tetons...!  Pretty, huh?


The same Tetons only much more sinister.  Todd snapped this on our way to Teton Village for the night-before reception...


We didn't see a moose.  Or a bear.  I am destined to never see a bear...


Ok, we saw one moose at the Mangy Moose bar in the Village.  But being stuffed and hung from the ceiling doesn't really count...


The next morning we headed to the town square and had breakfast at this great little place called Cafe Genevieve.  It was so cute - and good - and I was crazy jealous of the hostess' clothes.  We went back the next morning too and she looked even cuter than the day before!  I hate how everyone in Jackson is so effortlessly mountain-laid-back with style!  (Translation - I want their closets.)  We meandered through the Jackson farmers market...


And took pictures under the famous antler arches...


And more photos.  This was very game warden appropriate, don't you think...?


My friend Kara, the blushing bride...


The wedding was at the Tennis and Golf Club, which was nothing short of amazing.  What a backdrop for the bride, huh?


The D.C., fam!  This picture makes me so happy!  We're missing a few folks though...


Sunday morning Todd and I took a different route home.  On the way to Jackson we took the more northern route through Dubois, Wyo.  On the way back we dipped into Pinedale and Lander.  We stopped for some impromptu fishing outside Jackson...


The Great Outdoors...


I didn't fish because I didn't have a license.  A big no-no, particularly when your significant other is a game warden...


In Pinedale, Wyo., we stopped for lunch at the Wind River brewery...


And had a pretty nice time sampling beers and eating outside - until the bill came.  Our waitress, though nice, hadn't listened to a thing we said.  One order of the sampler - not two.  We got the bill cleaned up and moved along...


As we were heading into Lander, Wyo., the tire pressure light came on in my car.  Come to find out, we had a flat.  Seriously?!


Todd put the spare on in the parking lot of a convenience store...


And we were off!


Linds H. has a photo of this and I've always loved it.  So, I decided to copy her and take one of my own.  The sign is for a house at Sweetwater Station that has a barn full of books for sale.  I really wanted to stop in, but the time we lost fixing our flat meant the place was closed.  There's an interesting article on the ladies who run the shop on Wyofile...


FINALLY we pull into town on our spare and pass this scene on the way to the house...A reminder to Todd that work lurked just around the corner...


The one scratching makes me laugh...  Oh dear...

2 comments:

MOM said...

Great pictures, Kimberly. What fun. Boy, the whole DC crew was there, too, including Coy! At least you got to stop off and enjoy the water, and Todd got to fish, and Rigby get wet.

Stacey said...

How corny are you!! :) "Oh Dear" she says!! ha ha. :) You NEVER have good luck with cars do you! And I am destined to never see a bear either, unless I get eaten by one camping in yellowstone next summer. :) I don't know why but that was very funny to me. Good pics. So did it storm badly then after Todd took that ominous sky photo??