Thursday, May 20, 2010

Caught red branded

Yesterday, Todd and I went to Jonna's family's branding.  Todd had never been to a branding and I was excited for him to see what it was like.

Relaxin' and grazin' with no idea of what's to come...


Time to round 'em up!


The branding irons heating up...



Jonna getting ready to brand!


Jonna's brother Nathan (in the white hat) holding a calf down...


Todd helping Jonna get a calf down!


Still working on him...


He's down for the count!  There's a lot that happens all at once: branding, tagging, vaccination, dehorning, and...castration.  Hmmm...it's only 10 a.m. and I want Rocky Mountain Oysters.  That sounds wrong.  Like, how it's not "proper" to have a drink before noon...maybe a person shouldn't want RMO in the morning...


The branding was delayed earlier in the morning because of rain, which quit then started up again.  The branding was put off completely then.


An action shot...


Four calves down at the same time!  I actually participated for a while this year - I got to tag - which amounts to basically piercing their ears...


Jonna's brother Nathan again.  I just liked this photo of him...


Shutting down early and letting the cows out of the corral...


Mooovin' out...


Jonna, her mom Gayann, and dad Wayne putting the final touches on lunch.  Usually there's a big spread at the end of the event.


Too bad they'll have to finish them up later!

5 comments:

Stacey said...

Oh my gosh, I SOOOOO miss the west and branding and all that ranch life and stuff. I'm moving back! :)

MOM said...

I know, Stacey. I'm glad we had cattle with Bill and Becky, and got to do the branding. It was quite an experience, and I for one, will never forget it. Kelly, I sure wish you had gone that time, and gotten into the pictures. It seemed like the mud and grime didn't bother us so much when we were involved in stuff like that. Great pictures, Kimberly! Too bad Stanlietta wasn't in them, and YOU. Looks like they were breaking Todd in:) Remember Dad getting broken in? Whew...chest was green with a huge bruise for a long time.

MOM said...

Ah, I see you now, in the red sweatshirt.

Anonymous said...

That's not me in the sweatshirt. I'm taking the photos!

MOM said...

I thought maybe someone took that one:) Gosh, it sure looks like you!