Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Shackin' Up

My office was showing a European Union representative and two British Consul Generals around yesterday. To show them a kitschy Wyoming good time we took them to The Bunkhouse.

The Bunkhouse is on Happy Jack Road between Cheyenne and Laramie. I had heard about this little gem of a hole in the wall before, but hadn't been there.

The Europeans (and me) got a kick out of the saddles, wildlife mounts, farm tools, and other junk on the walls. They have great steak, sentiments the Brits reiterated, and apparently there is a band at 7 p.m. every Friday and Saturday night. Talk about hook, line and sinker... I'm caught.

I've heard people like to stop here on their way back from Cowboys games in Laramie, which I will definitely now have to do.

I ended up talking to the owner for a bit and learned the Bunkhouse first opened in 1959. The owner told me the place gets an eclectic crowd and sometimes there'll even be horses hitched out front.

I *do* love places like this!

And...just 'cause. A pretty Wyoming sunset taken from the parking lot of the 'Bunk:

2 comments:

Kelly S said...

I miss those Wyoming/Western sunsets. :(

Anonymous said...

Me, too, Kelly. I got a good picture the last time I drove to Omaha, too, of the sunset. I remember watching the sunsets off our deck in Gillette...also watching lightening storms come in over the Big Horns from our Gillette house.