Monday, November 23, 2009

Fair game

This last weekend was opening day for deer season in Wisconsin.

As I promised Todd I would, I sat in the stand with him for a little while on Saturday - or opening day - morning.

A family tradition is for his mom to cook a big hunter's breakfast for all the guys on opening morning. Before we left Wyoming, I made cinnamon rolls and French puffs (with a few of my own alterations) both by the Pioneer Woman. These are winning recipes, folks. I highly suggest them!

We saw NOTHING on Saturday morning, but Sunday morning...now that's a different story! Todd got two "antlerless deer" - the technical term, I guess. No sooner had we sat down in the stand than three deer came whooshing by. About 30 minutes later Todd shot one, and a little after that got a second.

Me in the deer stand...now this is my idea of hunting! I only lasted about 2 1/2 hours on Saturday (my feet were frozen!) and yesterday Todd got his deer so quickly we didn't have to be out long. I just don't have the patience for this. It's a good thing I don't have to rely on this for my food!
The deer stand. Todd built this himself a couple years ago...

The second deer Todd shot...


See the red on those leaves...blood. Todd was trying to track his deer. It's like CSI: Wisconsin...


Todd searching for the first deer. I actually stuck it out during the gutting! I didn't want to at first, but my curiosity got the best of me. I swear shows like CSI and others with autopsy scenes desensitize you! I was so close I was looking inside the deer and Todd showed me all the different organs. Fascinating...


Todd wanted to see how Rigby would do hunting with him in the stand. Only problem is, we don't have any blaze orange for him and I didn't want him killed. Todd's friend Shawn just happened to have a hunting vest for dogs in his car so we put it on Rigs. He wasn't so sure at first, but quickly got over it...


Doesn't Rigby look like a crossing guard?! I laughed SO hard! We think he looks like he's barking orders to kids in this pic...


Oh, the things we do to our animals! Todd didn't try to keep this on - as if Rigby would have gone for that. Doesn't Rigby look so gol' darn cute under that hat??


My felon and crossing guard heading back into the woods...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rigby needs a little stop sign and whistle.

MOM said...

Has he barked at all yet? Awww...he looks cute. That stand is neat, but I think it looks cold.

Stacey said...

You are a real wilderness girl! Patches, we don't need no stinking patches. :)

MOM said...

You guys are crazy!

MOM said...

Rigby is sooo black you can't even see his eyes.