Sunday, June 7, 2009

Branding iron

A couple weekends ago I went up to Jonna's family's branding outside Kaycee, Wyo. I've always wanted to go, but was never back in the state when they did it. This year I wasn't going to miss it!

I didn't have a job except to take some photos. I do have a bit of a branding resume though: My family helped our friends in Gillette, Wyo., brand for a few years and I got assigned to the "castrating crew." I was the insecticide and blood clotting powder-girl. Sounds pretty glitzy, huh?

For those who aren't up on their branding practices I was the girl who, after the, ahem "deed" was done, ran up and sprayed insecticide around the area then dumped blood clotting powder in.

I wanted to try other things after a few years of this prestigious job and got moved over to ear tags and vaccines. It just wasn't as exciting.

And my old role made for a much better story for all my East Coast listeners.

How about some nice, warm-up pics first...

This is Banjo. Check out his tongue! He just keeps it hanging out like that most of the time...



A new-born ranch kitten...

Jonna's dad Wayne...Kissing calves...


The cattle coming in...


Ok, enough of the sugar coated shots. Let's get down to the nitty gritty: The irons used to burn out any horns...

Jonna's brother Nathan roping...

I've titled this one "Kicking and Screaming"...


See that bucket there? It's called the "nut bucket." I'll spare you the close up photo of what's inside...

Lots of activity...


And that, folks, is how it's done.

3 comments:

MOM said...

Boy, do these pictures bring back memories! I gave the shots, and helped prepare the ear tags. Kimberly I love the colors in the landscape picture of the kissing calves. I bet it was fun! Good 'ole Wyom'in! The REAL cowboy country.

Rob Jennings said...

Great pics Kim. Looks like a good time.

Jamie Findlater said...

oh MAN this is bring back bad bad memories of the rocky mountain oyster day.