Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Ag-tivity

Yesterday, I went on a day-long Ag Diversification Tour with the Agribusiness division in my office to take photos and video. The tour takes folks to different ag operations to see how those producers are using innovative ideas and the resources they have to keep a steady income.

It was really interesting.

We started in Douglas, Wyo., at the Wyoming State Fair Grounds with these cinnamon rolls for breakfast. I had already eaten some oatmeal, but I gave one of these babies (and they're about the size of a real baby) a taste. Holy crap! It was amazing! What she does to get these so big and fluffy, I do not know. She's certainly giving my Pioneer Woman recipe a run for its money...


Our first stop was a Boer goat ranch outside Douglas, Wyo. They raise the goats for meat, seedstock and 4-Hers. I have always kind of wanted goats. I think they're cool, and cute, and what a great way to keep a yard mowed?!

The group in the corral...


Not the most flattering photo of me - I kind of look like a pirate - but the focus is on the week-old kid I'm holding named McBride...


This was through the windshield of the coach bus we were on. I thought it was a really pretty view...

A Wyoming traffic jam...


So, our bus got stuck in a ditch on a guest ranch about 20 miles outside of Douglas. Thank heavens for tractors!

Consequently, we had to hoof it (this is a post about ag) the rest of the way to the house and corrals on the guest ranch...



These "bales" are made of 100 compressed tires and weigh about one ton. They're used to...


...build the walls for this barn. It's still a bit of an experiment. The "bales" are covered in a layer of cement and provide remarkable insulation. There was a dramatic difference in temperature from the outside to the inside of the barn. And it saves tires from landfills...


The Deer Forks guest ranch above is diversifying their operation with a llama trekking program, and are raising miniature cattle, club lambs and pigs, and boer goats for a variety of uses.

I'm always impressed with how ranchers and farmers can make the most of what they've got!



No comments: