Monday, July 13, 2009

Head 'em up and move 'em out!

The Frontier Days cattle drive was early yesterday morning and this year, instead of being just a spectator, I got a chance to take part!

My assignment was to help any media there, which meant riding in a buckboard at the end of a wagon train with reporters and photographers, and 500 head of cattle behind us.

I wanted to post these yesterday after the event, but my Internet was soooooo slow! I would suggest clicking on some of the photos so you can see the real detail in them...

The day started out with an authentic chuckwagon breakfast on the prairie for participants. Everything's made in cast iron skillets and pots. The three pots in front all have biscuits baking in them. You can see the hot coals on top the lids to get them warm...

Here's the cook for the chuckwagon. They're from the Texas Panhandle and have competed in the Chuckwagon Cook-off for the past several years...


This is Miss Frontier, the CFD queen, and her Lady in Waiting...

I just liked this shot of these two little girls in the field...


Here come the cattle...!


Still coming...


Here they are...


An appropriately named road for this occasion...


This is a good one to click on. Those are the CFD Dandies riding down the Interstate so they can get positioned in front of us and keep the cattle from getting into the crowds...


The wagons in front of us...


I love the contrast of the old and new ways of life here...


Definitely click on this one...


The cattle finally in the arena...


This makes me imagine a big ol' bull on a stretcher with bandages on him...haha...

5 comments:

icancarryallthebagsandthebabiestoo said...

Forgive me! Please, don't laugh at me. I feel like such a yankee.

Kim, I don't understand what this is.

Okay, so I understand that there's a celebration. And the breakfast looks incredible. I love things like that. But where are the cattle coming from? And where are they going? And why?

Anonymous said...

haha! I guess I really didn't explain, did I?

It's the drive to bring a lot of the cattle that will be used during the Frontier Days rodeo down to the arena.

They round them all up from a pasture and herd them about seven miles down the road to the pens at Frontier Park.

Yee-haw!

icancarryallthebagsandthebabiestoo said...

So, they're like, "The stars of the show" and everyone is celebrating them coming to town?

What do they do in the rodeo?

Anonymous said...

Oh, they're used for the steer wrestling, and calf roping events and such.

The drive is the way bringing cattle "to town" was done in the old days. And since Frontier Days is a celebration of the Old West that's how they continue to get the cattle down to the park.

However, you certainly don't see 500 head of cattle just coming down the Interstate every day so it draws a big crowd. And generates some excitement for the upcoming 10 days of rodeo madness!

icancarryallthebagsandthebabiestoo said...

That sounds like fun!!!!

hahahha.... Steer wrestling. I had no idea that such a thing existed! Do they give the steer awesome cheestastic stage names and have divisions!

I never made it to a rodeo. The closest I came was eating at the restaurant "The Trail Dust" with all the ties on the walls. When I head back west with my girls, I'm going to be sure that they make it to a real cowboy rodeo.