Friday, December 18, 2009

Friday night fish fry

As I learned in November, Friday night across the state of Wisconsin is fish fry night.

With Todd's mom here we decided to create our own Wisconsin fish fry at the house. We even thawed a bunch of crappies Todd caught in Wisconsin.

The battering process. Just dip each side in egg then roll thoroughly in plain bread crumbs...


Snap, crackle, pop! Drop the fish in a light layer of olive oil...


Whip up some coleslaw, steam some broccoli and butter some cornbread and voila! Wisconsin fish fry!


Friday Fish Fry Coleslaw

Nancy is a coleslaw lover, so I was flattered when she said she wanted my recipe. I can't remember where I found it - probably Cooking Light.

1 pkg. of pre-shredded cabbage/carrot coleslaw mix from the produce section
6 tbsp. light mayo or Miracle Whip (NOTE: I HATE beyond reason mayo/Miracle Whip. I hate the color, smell...sound...of it. But sometimes you can't get around it. I have wanted to try this with plain fat-free yogurt but haven't done it yet. Will report back when I do...)
1 tsp. celery seed
1/4 tsp. salt
3 tsp. sugar
3 tsp. apple cider vinegar

Whisk all ingredients minus the coleslaw mix in a small bowl. Thoroughly combine sauce mixture with pkg. of coleslaw in a larger bowl. Chill until ready to serve.

2 comments:

Stacey said...

I LOVE coleslaw. I'll have to try the recipe cause I've never made it at home.

MOM said...

I love coleslaw, too. I don't mind light mayo. The food looks great, Kimberly. Is everyone staying warm out there? Have fun.