Monday, November 3, 2008

More than Just a Page Turner

The Cheyenne library is one of the best in the nation. It won 2008 Library of the Year, and according to USA Today it is one of America's 10 great public libraries.

Also, green-leaning folks will be happy to learn it also earned a gold certification as a LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) building, which, in my first visit there was most evident in the toilets. I've never had to push a toilet handle up or down depending on whether it was liquid or solid waste I was trying to flush...

Anyway...until tonight, I haven't been there. I've really wanted to check the place out, but just haven't had a chance yet.

I learned earlier today that classical guitarist Peter Fletcher was performing for free at the library and thought I'd attend. It would be my first cultural event in Cheyenne.

It was also the library's first real concert, so there were some improvements to be made, but overall the night was fun. The music was very good and the audience appreciative.

The best thing about events here is how accessible performers can be. After the program I was in the back looking at CDs and Peter, who also happened to be back there greeting the audience, started talking to me in rather great length.

Needless to say, I left with a renewed desire to take greater advantage of my local library...and a CD.

No comments: