Friday, January 9, 2009

Some things just won't change

The Wyoming State Legislature starts up next week and I'm pretty excited. That's dorky sounding, I know, but I'm ok with it.

I had my first taste of our state government since beeing back on Thursday at SLIB, the State Loan and Investment Board. I was there for work and was reminded how "small town" our government is. SLIB is made up of the governor and the other four statewide elected officials, i.e. the secretary of state.

The governor shook everyone's hands, everyone knew each other, and heck, at one point the state superintendent even got up and poured coffee for the other officials. Aren't there usually people that do that for them? Oh yeah, not here.

I was also excited to be "back in government." As I told one friend that day, I just love "being in government." I like the process, and the discussion, and being knowlegeable about what's happening that effects people's lives. It's dorkily interesting to me.

So, as I also told this friend, I guess you can take the girl out of government, but you can't take the government out of the girl.

No comments: