Saturday, June 28, 2008

Compare and Contrast

This weekend is the big annual girls' NYC weekend.

Once a year, a group of about 13 girls head up to NYC from D.C., for a heel-wearing, fancy-dress flaunting, Broadway watching, martini sipping (chugging?), Sex and the City-esq weekend.

I think this is the first NYC weekend I've missed.

I'm both super bummed about missing the trip and happy with my Laramie weekend at the same time, which makes me think of that movie Sliding Doors starring Gwyneth Paltrow. Anyone ever see that? It's all about what's happening in her character's "real life" and a parallel "what if" life.

I feel like I'm having a very Sliding Doors weekend. Here's how they compare and contrast:

Friday night the girls loaded the back of the "hell bus" to NYC eventually drinking and gradually becoming more obnoxious as they got closer to the city. They got off at the scheduled rest stops for snacks and mixers, went out on the town and dropped into bed around 5 a.m. (or later). **I packed up the Escape and went to Denver to see Paco, who is moving from D.C. to L.A. I stopped in Cheyenne to drop off some paperwork and a load of belongings at my new apartment. I attended a dinner party at a house in the 'burbs and promptly passed out at 1 a.m. after a long drive back.**

Today, the girls had brunch at a fancy NYC restaurant, are attending a Tony Award-winning musical and will be having an amazing post-show dinner at a swanky restaurant followed by more going out at uber-cool clubs. **I had a breakfast of yogurt and berries, got my hair cut by a new "cool" guy at a salon in Laramie, am currently watching Yo Gabba Gabba with Linds' son Sam while enjoying an awesome dinner of gourmet turkey burgers, caprese salad and grilled asparagus with Linds. This will be followed by a movie, some more Napa Valley wine, and hitting the hay around 10:30 p.m. fully expecting to be woken up at 2 a.m. by the girls who are either dancing their bums off at a club or eating late night food at Cafeteria.**

Tomorrow the girls will wake, shove their stuff into their weekend bags, run for coffee and a quick breakfast of maybe a Nathan's hotdog before nearly missing the the bus home. They will pass out from exhaustion on the bus, get to their homes and pass out again. **I will get up early and load a few more boxes in my car before heading to Cheyenne with Jonna and J, who has a shooting competition. Jonna and I will go furniture and antique shopping, likely grab lunch somewhere and head home. Since I don't have a job until July 7 I can sleep in Monday morning, unlike the D.C. girls.**

At the end of the movie the two lives kind of meld together showing that no matter what choices she made there was a preordained end that she couldn't have controlled.

I dont' think going to NYC this weekend would have ultimately landed me in Wyoming, but who knows...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Kimmy, you were SO missed!!!

Anonymous said...

Good parallel and analogy, Kimberly. I've seen part of that movie, but can't remember much of it, just thought it was weird. Just think, you don't have the next morning headache the girls in NYC have. It sounds like you had a great time, too.