Monday, August 25, 2008

Blasts From My Past

I’m discovering there are more people I know living in Cheyenne than I ever would have guessed, and the number keeps growing.

People from my past keep popping up everywhere. I run into them at restaurants, at meetings, and mostly I hear about others through the grapevine, “Did you know so-and-so is living here too…?”

Last week alone I had two blasts from my past.

I was at lunch for my boss’ birthday. When we got up to leave a girl from the table beside us stopped me. “KIM!! How are you?!”

Oh no. I knew I knew her. I just could NOT place her. This was terrible.

It took me a few minutes of talking to her to figure it out – she used to work in D.C., for the other Wyoming senator, but left several years ago for the Peace Corps and nobody had heard from her, to my knowledge anyway.

She was completely out of context for me in Cheyenne and placing her took me a few. We exchanged cards and have emailed a couple of times with plans to meet for a drink or coffee sometime soon.

The very next day I had a similar exchange. I was at a meeting of public information officers and we had to go around the room and introduce ourselves. There was a girl I knew I had gone to college with. She had been in several of my communication classes and I thought for sure I remembered her name. I was right!

After the meeting she came over to chat. Once again, we left with promises to meet up.

It’s so strange and fun to see people here I knew mostly from D.C. And it’s strange and fun in a different way to run into people I knew in college and haven’t seen since.

It’s mostly nice to know there are more folks than I thought living in town who I can count as friends, buddies, acquaintances, whatever – even if I haven’t seen them in ages.


No comments: