Saturday, April 4, 2009

Snow-white blossoms, and just snow

The crew in D.C., did the annual cherry blossom breakfast at dawn at the Jefferson Memorial today. I thought I would do a sister event in Wyoming with breakfast at the Lincoln Memorial on I-80 between here and Laramie. I planned to be on the road at 5:30 a.m. so I could get situated for the sunrise, but a crazy blizzard that started up last night had all the roads closed.

Plan B was to sit down at the state Capitol with some coffee, but one look at the sky completely covered in dense clouds at 6 a.m. told me there would be no sunrise. I was bummed because I was hoping to be with my East Coast friends "in spirit," but nothing could be done.

So, I went to work rolling out cinnamon rolls - not because being disappointed drives me to make cinnamon rolls, but because I had invited some folks from work over for a pre-MS Walk breakfast. Pretty sure the race would be canceled, but not sure if people would still show up to eat I went ahead with the making of the rolls.

I felt like such a farmer girl: up at the break of day rolling out dough for breakfast!

Brandon was my lone guest. We ate then decided to venture out to Wal-Mart for something to do. In Wyoming, snow storms don't mean snowed in - especially if you have 4WD. I also kept my haircut appointment...I will not let Mother Nature keep me from having good (ok, given the weather here - decent) hair!

The rest of the day? Reading by my fire. Some organizing. And more baking. Weather like this makes me want to bake. It doesn't help that I've had INCREDIBLE urges to make chocolate chip cookies and red velvet cupcakes for a while now. I think the time is right.

My neighbor's car and my front steps: The East Coast crew might have cherry trees in snowy bloom, but I've got the real thing. Hmmm...I don't think I've come out on top with this one...

2 comments:

MOM said...

We used to be used to the snow in Gillette, but now I don't want blizzards in April:) I miss the West, though. Sounds like a fun, relaxing day, actually.

Elly said...

We missed you on Saturday morning. We had quite the spread of food and everyone who walked by wished they were us. Ha ha!