Wednesday, March 19, 2008

'Round and 'Round

D.C. has circles. Dupont, Thomas, Scott, Logan...the list goes on.

Well, so does Vail and Avon - quite a few actually, given the size of these places.

You would think, being smaller towns and all, these circles would be easier to navigate.

Not so.

First of all, there are no lights, which kind of makes sense since the flow of traffic isn't as great. However, this leads nicely to my next point which is: it doesn't matter how MUCH traffic there is, it matters what KIND of traffic there is.

Many people going 'round my new town circles are from out of town (me), and likely haven't driven many circles at all (not me).

And, since there are no lights the whole process is based on blind faith. Faith that someone will yield. Faith that someone is in the "correct" lane so they don't cut you off if they suddenly want to veer off onto a straight road.

I know it took me a while to get a feel for the D.C. circles. But I think once one masters those a small town circle should be simple? No?

This is one argument we could go 'round and 'round on.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kimberly. I don't remember a bunch of circles in Vail. I guess they figure it's efficient, especially when ski traffic is huge. I hope you are enjoying the mountain fresh air and probably some beautiful wild flowers about now. I hope the job hunting is going well.